Playing with Light

For the last 2 weeks my photography class has focused on playing with light to create different effects.  I'm LOVING doing this, even if the results are only so-so at this point.  I'm learning sooooo much great info.  But all of the new knowledge sometimes jumbles up in head and I forget what I need to do to get the effect I want.  I know I just need more practice. 

1.  Low light photos (without a flash) - higher ISO, wide open aperture (low f/stop), and shutter speed at least 50 if holding the camera
I took these using the light from candles on the cupcake B is holding.


2.  Sun flare - ISO low, closed aperture (f/11 or larger), shutter speed 1/250 or higher
I used spot metering to expose for the trees and then for D's face.


3.  Backlit or Silhouette - ISO low, mid aperture (f/8), shutter speed what works
I used my gray card to set the exposure based on D's cheek.

This time, I set the exposure based on the light beside D's head.  I used spot metering but should have changed and used evaluative.  I'll have to try again and see what happens.
Here's a better silhouette of B.

I'm excited to keep practicing these techniques over the summer when we're outside.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Country Farm

Happy Easter

Here Come the Police!