Rule of Thirds

One of the hardest parts of photography for me is composing the shot to look different from others I've taken.  Sometimes (okay a lot of the times) I feel like a lack creativity is deciding on the composition of the picture.  Couple that with moving targets (i.e. D and S) for subjects and many of my photos are the same ... kids in the center of the frame.

Enter "The Rule of Thirds" and the focus of yesterday's lesson.  This is a "rule" where the photographer divides the frame into thirds and places the subject in one of the thirds (or if you're really good on one of the intersecting lines).  By doing this you change up the composition of the photos while showing the audience what matters most in the photo - what's in (or on) the third.

Here are some photos I took today using this rule.  Which do you like best?  Don't worry I'll tell you my favorites at the end!

Left

Center

Right

Center

Left

Right

Right

Left

Center


My favorites ...
*S on the right of the couch - I can see he is happy but his eyes are obviously watching something else.  You just can't see what
*D on the right of the table, reading - I see the whole table and it's clear she is reading a book that requires her full attention.
*D on the left playing Legos - I can see the scene she's set up and can tell there's a story behind what the Lego Friends are doing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Country Farm

Happy Easter

Here Come the Police!