The Light

Our house gets a lot of light through the windows at different times of the day.  Great for photographs  and photography classes right?  Wrong ... the windows all have criss-crossed bars over them.  So while we get light, it's patchy and casts weird shadows on whoever (or whatever) you're trying to photograph.  Yesterday's lesson was on finding and using the light available to photograph what's important to you.  No flash (no problem, I don't know how to use mine anyway)!

This challenge made me really examine the light around me and use it to my advantage.  Turns out we have more good light than I thought ...

The side window in the family room (i.e. TV room) has great sun coming through during late afternoon.  It is diffused by the sheer white curtains.  This makes it feel warm and cozy ... especially on cold, windy days like yesterday!  I can easily stand one of the kids in front of it or set up their toys near by.

A few camera setting changes and this same window (at the same time) becomes a great place to capture sun flares!

S has spent a lot of the past day and a half right in this position, feeling yucky with croup.  Today I noticed how the light behind him, coupled with the light from the phone really show off the pathetic way he looks and feels.

In the kitchen we have an overhead, chandelier light (that nobody really likes).  While playing "Sleeping Queens" after bath time I noticed how the light creates reflections on the table!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Country Farm

Happy Easter

Here Come the Police!