Week 2

This week in my Momtographie class I've been working on taking pictures in AV mode instead of AUTO.  For me this was the first time doing anything to my camera other than pushing the button to take the picture.  We focused on shutter speed and changing the ISO (a kind of light boost).  By getting a higher shutter speed, by better light or ISO increase, I was challenged to take pictures of my kids in motion.  Finding D and S in motion is not a problem by the way!  

I quickly discovered it is much easier to get clear, crisp pictures of movement outside rather than inside. My pictures are routinely blurry inside regardless of where I stand or the ISO I use.  As I increased the ISO the pictures were too bright and I started to notice the noise we talked about in class.  Now, this is good and bad - good because I noticed the noise and bad because it's there.  Here are some pictures from inside.  They go from early in the week where I was just learning about ISO to later in the week where I'm still learning but have a slightly better grasp.




After experimenting inside I headed outside with D and S to try pictures in the bright sunlight.  I quickly saw a much faster shutter speed (1/1250 compared to 1/100) and didn't need an ISO above 400.  The outside pictures are definitely clearer and you can see the movement.  I'm super excited to keep working with movement ... mostly because D and S never stay still and now I feel a bit more capable of catching the many fun moments we have.  






Next week we tackle aperture in class.  (I have no idea what that is!)  I'm going to work hard to remember the ideas and lessons from these first 2 weeks as we tackle this new piece.  

Now I'm off to get ready for the weekend - hopefully full of fun and lots of motion ... some caught in photos!

Comments

  1. I like the one where you captured water in the air. I really want to do one like that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Great Country Farm

Happy Easter

Here Come the Police!